This U.S. stern paddle wheeler was one of the last riverboats in operation on the Western Rivers, used for commercial, tourist transportation on the Green and Barren Rivers (southern tributaries of the Ohio) in Kentucky between Bowling Green and Mammouth Cave, a distance of about 75 miles. Built at Chambersburg, Ohio, in 1884, the classic looking Chaperon had a hull length of 121’, beam of 28’ and draft of 4’. She ended her career by burning in the early 1900s. This very detailed, natural finish model is constructed via a solid hull of mahogany with a clear pine built-up superstructure and open pilothouse. The hand-carved decorative embellishments & trim are of holly, ebony, cherry, and purple-heart woods. Includes numerous brass fittings and fastenings, especially those used to construct the intricate stern wheel. Mounted on an inlay base set into a black outer frame moulding, glazed cover trimmed in brass.