The Viola was built in 1910 by the Arthur D. Story Shipyard at Essex, Massachusetts. Her length was 125', beam 26.1', and draft 12.5'. Tonnage 190.0. She was registered at New Bedford, Massachusetts. She made several voyages out of New Bedford under three different captains, sailed out of New Bedford for the last time on September 5, 1917 and was lost with all hands. The model is constructed via a plank on frame method with the frames being constructed of solid mahogany and matching wood was used for the hull planking with some simulated treenails. The model has individually laid decking with all deck furniture of built-up or solid wood components. It shows all appropriate whaling deck gear and for fitted whaleboat’s mounted outboard on various davits. The tryworks and cooper’s bench is also provided, as well as the lowered cutting-in stage platform (starboard side). The model is rigged as a brigantine with all appropriate standing and running lines. It is mounted onto turned brass keel pedestals set onto an oval mirror recessed into a stained mahogany baseboard with inlay banding. Glazed cover is trimmed in brass and the presentation includes one brass engraved name plaque.